Gretna Public Schools District #37
School District #37 was created as a small district to save the village of Gretna in 1888. The first school to serve Gretna children was located across the road from the LaBorde cemetery outside Gretna. A two-story brick schoolhouse was constructed in 1898 south of Angus Street across from St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Its size was doubled in 1908, and a gymnasium was added in 1936.
As the village grew, so too did the school district. Through minor consolidation over the years and a major consolidation in 1958, the district has grown to its present size of 70 square miles.Centrally located between Lincoln and Omaha, the community uniquely weaves its large city ties with rural character. These appealing characteristics draw many families hoping to raise their children in a small town atmosphere with a sense of community.
Gretna Public Schools 2023 Community Report
The philosophy of the Gretna Public School District is to provide an equal educational process in relation to the characteristics and needs of the individual student and the community this school system serves. This philosophy is carried out by staff living the mission of “an undeniable and unconditional acceptance of all students while maximizing their potential” each and every day. This mission is one of the reasons for the district growth that continues year after year.
Visit the Gretna Public Schools website for more information about our district.